In a pointed joint statement signed by Supreme Judicial Court Chief Justice Roderick Ireland and Chief Justice for Administration and Management Robert A. Mulligan, the justices criticized Massachusetts’s 2012 budget for its cuts to the trial court system.
Because of what the justices say amounts to an almost 16 percent cut since 2009, the Fiscal Year 2012 budget “will require even more drastic measures, including layoffs, court relocations and consolidations, and curtailed operations and services.”
The justices concluded by stating that “the Fiscal Year 2012 budget will impact significantly the quality of justice in our courts and jeopardize the right of every person, guaranteed by the Massachusetts Constitution, to have recourse to the courts and obtain civil and criminal justice “completely and without denial, promptly and without delay.”
The following courts have been recommended for relocation by the Court Relocation Committee:
- Berkshire Juvenile Court to Northern Berkshire District Court (North Adams)
- Charlestown Division of the Boston Municipal Court to the Boston Municipal Court
- Framingham Juvenile Court to Marlborough District Court
- Gloucester District Court to Salem District Court
- Hingham District Court to Brockton District Court
- Leominster District Court to Clinton District Court / Fitchburg District Court
- New Bedford Housing Court to New Bedford District Court or to Fall River Durfee Courthouse
- Norfolk Juvenile Court (Dedham) to Brookline District Court
- Brookline District Court criminal matters to Dedham District Court; civil matters to Newton District Court.
- Wareham District Court to Plymouth District Court
- Westborough District Court to Worcester District Court
- Westfield District Court to Holyoke District Court /Chicopee District Court / So. Berkshire District Court